The software and drivers that are pre-installed on a computer printer are required in order for the printer to function. You can still install your printer even if you don’t have the CD that came with it since you can install the drivers for your printer and use them to install it. On our printer drivers page, you’ll find a directory of printer companies and links to the sites where you may obtain their related drivers.
Is there a standard for printers?
This article is helpful for all printer brands (such as Canon, Brother, HP, Lexmark, and Sharp) and their respective models, despite the fact that not all printers are the same (e.g., Laserjet, Photosmart, Deskjet, etc.). This article might also be of use to you regardless of if you already have a laser printer or an inkjet printer.
Establishing a connection between the printer and the computer
After you have attached the printer to a pc by means of a USB cable, a cable for the parallel port, or a cable for the SCSI port, connect
the power connector to an electrical outlet. These days, the USB cable shown in the illustration is used by the vast majority of home printers connected to personal computers.
Connecting the printer to the network using either the RJ-45 connector or a wireless network if the printer is a network printer.
A laptop computer operates in the same manner as a desktop computer and is able to utilize any of the connections described above provided that they are accessible.
Users of smartphones and tablets need a printer that can connect to their devices either wirelessly or online in order to print from their devices.
Activating a printing device
Once the printer has been successfully linked to the computer, the power button that is located across the front of the printer may be used to turn it on. The power switch is almost always located in the bottom right-hand corner of the front panel of the printer. However, the location of the buttons is going to be different depending on the kind of printer you have. There is a possibility that older laser printers have a power switch hidden in one of the bottom corners of the rear of the printer, Configure the printer, and then install the program.
- After turning on the printer and attaching it to your computer, you will need to install the software and drivers that come with the printer. The software required to install a printer in Microsoft or your system software needs to be included with each and every printer sold.
- Turn on the pc after you have ensured that everything is properly connected.
- Put in the CD that was included in the package with the printer. Open “My Computer,” double-click the CD drive, and afterward click the “Setup” or “Install” file to begin the installation process if the CD does not start up automatically. If you have already downloaded the drivers, you should execute the setup file that you downloaded.
- After completing the steps outlined in the installation process, your program will be successfully installed.
- Make sure the printer is functioning properly by testing it.
A computer that does not have a CD, DVD, or other disc drives.
You may download the printer software from the manufacturer’s website for your printer if your computer doesn’t even have a disc drive or if you have misplaced the CD that came with the printer. After the drivers have been downloaded, you will be able to install them by running the installation file.
No drivers accessible for my computer system
There is a possibility that modern operating systems will not support older models of printers. For instance, Windows 10 may not be capable of supporting a printer that was manufactured years before the operating system was made available. Your computer’s operating system or the version of Windows that you are using does not support the printer if the driver download page for that printer does not have any driver download links. You may give it a go by installing an older version of the drivers for the operating system, and it might end up working.
However, for a complete assistance, consider getting a new printer.
Putting in a printer by merely making use of its drivers
If you are just interested in installing the printer and none of the other software products, you may install the printer by following the instructions below, which will just only install the printer driver.
On the page devoted to printer drivers, you’ll find both a description of printer drivers and software.
If you have already installed the printer by following the procedures in the previous section, you should not need to do the steps in this section unless you have experienced issues.
- Once the printer has been properly connected and switched on, open the Control Panel.
- Double-click the Printers and Fax button located in the Control Panel to print or send a fax.
- Tap the Add a printer button that is located in the Printers pane.
- Once you’ve finished the instructions in the previous section, you should consult the Windows Printer Guide. To start the setup tutorial, tap on the Next button.
- After that, you will be prompted to decide whether you want to install a municipal or network printer. Select the option Local printer connected to this computer, and then click the Next button. This is the option you should select if the printer significantly shares with your computer.
- When requested for the location of the printer driver, either go to the directory containing your drivers or refer it to the CD that came with the printer.
Read related articles here also: General Tech/Our Blog
Does a printer need drivers?
Yes. Installing a printer driver is necessary in order for a printer to interact and function properly with a computer and the operating system it is using. It is possible to make use of a standard printer driver that is included with the computer system in some circumstances; however, these generic drivers do not always function correctly with all printers.
The special software for the printer is often not necessary for the printer to function, despite the fact that a driver is essential.
Try out the printer.
After the printer has been installed, you may use Windows to print a self-test page using the printer to ensure that it is functioning properly.
Watch this video also for more insight on how to install a printer on your computer.
Customers that use Microsoft Windows
- Launch the System Preferences panel.
- Perform a double click on the icon that is labeled Printers, Devices Printers, or Printers and Fax.
- Click the Properties button after right-clicking the printer you wish to test. If you can not see the printer, then the installation of your printer was unsuccessful.
- To print a test page, choose the option Print Test Page” inside the Printer Properties box.
- If a test page can be printed successfully by the printer, then the printer has been correctly installed and configured. On the other hand, if you are unable to print from any other applications, the problem is inside the program you are trying to print from.
If a test page can be printed from the printer, then the printer is properly installed and operational. You can open the software that came with the printer or the Printers and Scanners area of Windows is the way to customize any additional printer settings.